The Flodex presents a simple technique for resolving uncertainty with powder flow. Raw materials in powder form will vary in a number of ways when coming from different suppliers. This variability affects the powder’s overall ability to freely flow when loaded into manufacturing equipment, disrupting the speed and accuracy of the manufacturing process.
The Flodex determination of intrinsic flowability is based upon the ability of powder to fall freely through a hole in a disk. The Flodex comes complete with a full set of disks with different sized holes to use in determining this index and is fully compliant with USP <1174>.
- USP <1174> compliant
- Allows for a simple repeatable index of flowability of powders
- Easily operated by non-technically trained personnel
- Enables flowability testing before the setup and filling of manufacturing equipment
- Comes complete with a full set of disks for use with a variety of powder types
- Includes complete set of flow disks
- Stainless steel loading funnel discharges electrostatic potential that builds up between particles of powder
- Ideal for purchasing and quality assurance specifications
- Avoids a high coefficient of variation in product uniformity
- Accommodates a variety of powder types for use in manufacturing oral pharmaceutical dosage forms, coffee, and more!
Intrinsic flowability, as defined by Dr. Albert Gioia at the Dow Pharmaceutical Research Labs in Milan, is the property of a powder to flow evenly under the action of gravity and other forces. His techniques uses the Flodex Test apparatus to determine a repeatable flowability index over an arbitrary scale of 4 to 34.
For complete technical details, please see “Intrinsic Flowability: A New Technology for Powder-Flowability Classification” by Dr. Gioia in Pharmaceutical Technology Magazine. Reprints are available from Hanson Research.